Cooperative ESL Ministries Society is an interdenominational Christian organization of volunteers from different backgrounds who believe in serving people of all faiths and cultures. We advocate respect, understanding, and appreciation for people of all cultural, religious, and language backgrounds.
We train, network, mobilize, and inspire hundreds of current and prospective volunteers who work directly with newcomers in Calgary. We support church ministries and community-based programs that serve newcomers to Canada by providing a variety of services.
- PROVIDE TRAINING AND RESOURCES
Provide Training & Resources
Each year we deliver training programs and provide information and resources for volunteers from church and community organizations including:
- Reaching Out with English: a 30-hour intensive training program for volunteers in church-based ESL programs – offered over 3 weekends each Fall.
- Spring Training: a full-day training event focused on current issues facing newcomers. Provides information and strategies for assisting newcomers plus an option for ESL facilitators to enhance their classroom skills -offered one Saturday each Spring.
- Intercultural Communication Workshops: half-day or evening workshops for groups wanting to raise intercultural awareness, learn about different cultural values, and improve cross-cultural communication skills. Workshops are delivered for your group at your church or organization by CESLM facilitators.
- BUILD COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS
Build Community Partnerships
Through our large community network we connect leaders and volunteers from church and community organizations with representatives from immigrant serving agencies and other supportive community organizations. We do this by providing:
- Annual Networking Breakfast: a half-day information and networking event for volunteers and staff from churches, immigrant serving agencies, and other supportive community organizations – offered one Saturday morning each February.
- Information, contacts, and referrals to services for immigrants and other newcomers: connecting church and community-based programs to immigrant-serving agencies in Calgary and enabling program leaders to find appropriate specialized services (settlement services, counselling, further education, employment preparation, etc.) for their clients.
- ADVOCATE FOR NEWCOMERS TO CANADA
Advocate for Newcomers to Canada
We strive to raise awareness among church and community groups, and encourage openness and involvement in reducing the barriers faced by immigrants and other newcomers in Calgary. We do this by:
- Providing information and resources via our website and newsletter and through workshops, speakers, and presentations at our training and networking events.
- Encouraging interaction through Social Media: ‘Like’ us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, sign up for our newsletter, or ask us questions via our website.