- ESL Theme-Based Resources
Mother’s Day Resources
Canada Day Resources
- What Canada Means to Me Reading Activity
- Official lyrics O Canada
Spring and Summer Resources
- Class Field Trip Lesson Plan Ideas
Valentine’s Day Resources
- Valentine’s Day Bingo Cards
- Valentine Messages
- Top 10 Most Romantic Terms of Endearment
- Valentines Day Reading Comprehension Worksheet
- El Civics
- ESOL Courses
- ESL Made Easy
- Boggles World
- ESL Lesson Planning Curriculum Guides
- ESL Teaching Resources
- Activities for ESL Students
- Randall’s ESL Cyber Listening Lab
- Dave’s ESL Cafe
- Rong Chang Lee’s ESL Site
- ESL Reading Resources
- ESL Grammar Resources
- ESL Bible Study Resources
- The Hope DVD (watch online)
- The Hope Study Guide (download study guides here)
- The Hope ESL Software Curriculum (DVD)
- The Hope ESL Curriculum (pdf)
- NorQuest College ESL Resources
Interactive English 2–This free resource from NorQuest College focuses on learners at a CLB 2 to 4 and is built around short stories using video, audio, and text to create opportunities for learners to safely experience and understand Canadian culture and develop functional literacy skills.
Interactive English 2 is suitable for adults who are learning in a classroom setting, training in employment preparation, studying with community tutors, or working on their own self-directed language learners.
ESL Rural Routes–Find various resources for lesson planning, teacher training, cultural diversity training, and many other resources to help you with your teaching needs.
- News Videos for Learning English
- ESL Student Assessment
LINC Student Assessment
These resources are to help determine student English skills according to the Canadian Language Benchmarks. Please remember this is for informal use only to help gauge their approximate English level.
Students wishing to have their Canadian Language Benchmarks officially tested should consult Immigrant Services Calgary for an assessment
Canadian Language Benchmarks Documents
- CLB Level Indicator (previous version)
- CLB Level Indicator (newer version)
- Can Do Statements
- LINC Classroom Assessment Toolkit
Bow Valley College
Alberta Reading Benchmarks for Adults
(not specific to ESL, but a great resource to assess student reading levels)
- Cultural Tips for Teachers
- Tips for Motivating ESL Learners
- Tutela ESL Teacher Online Community
- ESL Teacher Training Programs
- Vancouver Community College Teacher Training Videos
- Teaching English as a Second Language in Canada (TESL)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Bow Valley College School of Global Access
- Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks
- University of Alberta, TESL Graduate Program
- Briercrest College, TESOL Program
- University of Saskatchewan, CERTESL Program
- Trinity Western University, MA TESOL Program
- Bow Valley College, ACE TESOL Certificate
- Taylor Seminary & EP Wahl Centre, Master of Arts Intercultural Studies: TESOL (Two-Year)
- Canadian Copyright for Educational Purposes
- Alberta Health Services
Alberta Health Services (AHS) has a developed a short video called Navigating the Health Care System, Getting Health Care When you are Sick. It’s translated and recorded in 9 languages. Teachers may use the English version as a teaching tool. At the end of the video, the contact information is outdated. Please update your students with the following changes: Alberta Health Link 811: myhealth.alberta.ca/811.
For copies of the video contact Sylvie Lebihan at 403 955-1213 or Sylvie.Lebihan@albertahealthservices.ca.
Book an AHS presentation for your ESL Class
To book an AHS representative to come and present to your ESL class, read the presentation form and choose a topic most appropriate for your learners’ level. Then fill out the presentation request form on the last page of this form: AB Health 2018-Nov-English level-Presentation list and email it to Yvonne Hau or Sylvie Lebihan.
Please note that we request a minimum of 10 students per presentation and the earlier you book the better chance we can fulfill your request. Please give us at least one month notice.
For more information and to send back the completed presentation request form, please contact:
Yvonne Hau, Diversity Liaison, email@example.com
Public Health, Alberta Health Services—Calgary Zone
East Calgary Health Centre
4715-8th Avenue SE Calgary, AB T2A 3N4
- Best Practices Report—Supporting the Integration of Immigrant Families
Best Practices in Supporting the Integration of Immigrant Families Through Small Ethno-cultural Organizations.
- Read the full document here.