- Canadian Language Benchmarks Can Do Statements
Canadian Language Benchmarks & CLB Can Do Statements
You can use this form to talk with your students about their English levels according to the Canadian Language Benchmarks. Please remember that this is for informal use only.
Students wishing to have their Canadian Language Benchmarks officially tested should consult Immigrant Services Calgary for an assessment.
Download Canadian Language Benchmarks
Click here for the Canadian Language Benchmarks Can Do Statements. (available online only)
An updated version is also available here: http://www.language.ca/documents/CLB_Can_Do_Statements_web.pdf
We are leaving both links on the page as some teachers use the older version as well.
- Online Christian TESOL Training
Online Christian TESOL Training
- Tutela Online Webinars
Tutela Online Webinars
- A Guide to Writing for College by Veritas Prep
A Guide to Writing for College by Veritas Prep
A comprehensive list of articles that break down writing and prewriting skills.
- Interactive English 2
Interactive English 2
This free resource from NorQuest College focuses on teaching Canadian culture and the language of settlement to learners at CLBA 2 to 4. This interactive resource is built around short stories told through video, audio and text and creates opportunities for learners to safely experience and understand Canadian culture and develop functional literacy skills. Interactive English 2 is suitable for adults who are learning in a classroom setting, training in employment preparation, studying with community tutors, or working on their own self-directed language learners. Available online at ie.norquest.ca
- Learning English with CBC
Learning English with CBC Calgary
CBC now has its own “Learning English with CBC” project. Novel newscast stories and monthly feature stories with Calgary content are now available on http://www.cbc.ca/calgary/learning-english/
- Newscasts (Weekly News Stories) Newscasts are current news stories read at a slower pace than you might hear on the radio. These are prepared by CBC Calgary news host, Nirmala Naidoo and Edmonton news editor, Don Bell. Each week we will bring you three news stories with helpful vocabulary explanations, listening comprehension activities and discussion questions. Each lesson contains a language focus that analyses and explains a grammar feature that appears in the news stories. At the end of each lesson, you will find a complete transcript and an answer key. The stories in this section are short. They focus on the current events of the day. They are suitable for students who have reached CLB 4.
- Monthly Stories (Monthly Feature Stories) The stories in this section are a bit longer. They feature items of general human interest. These stories are spoken at the original broadcast pace as heard on the radio. Some of these stories are from Edmonton and some are from Calgary. Monthly Stories have accompanying language-learning activities. All of the accompanying language tools are designed improve English language proficiency. They focus on listening, reading, speaking and writing, along with supplementary grammar, pronunciation, and vocabulary materials. An answer key, transcripts, and links to further information are all provided. One of these stories is uploaded at the beginning of each month and they are suitable for students who have reached CLB 6+ and for teachers looking for materials to use with higher-level classes.
The audio files and documents can all be downloaded and kept on your computer absolutely free! You can also browse though older features and newscasts. The audio files are in MP3 format and will play on most computer audio players.
If there is a topic you would like to see covered, or a suggestion for how we can make this site better, please email the Project Manager, Justine Light at email@example.com
- English Education: Grammar and Punctuation
English Education: Grammar and Punctuation
- 10 Surefire Tips for Motivating ESL Learners
10 Surefire Tips for Motivating ESL Learners
- Get Healthy Learning English
Get Healthy Learning English
Alberta Health Services has a developed a short video called Navigating the Health Care System, Getting Health Care When you are Sick. It has been translated and recorded in 9 languages. Teachers can use it as a teaching tool, the English version is clear and we only use easy words. They can pause and present it. For copies of the video contact Sylvie Lebihan at 403 955-1213 or Sylvie.Lebihan@albertahealthservices.ca.
- Student Loans Available
Student Loans Available
The Immigrant Access Fund (IAF) is a charitable organization that provides loans of up to $10 000 for internationally trained and educated immigrants. Please inform your students about the program. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Free Online Resources
Free Online Resources
Free online ESL resources for teachers and learners. The Government of Alberta, Human Services has funded the development of a series of ESL lessons and activities. Lessons are aimed at learners with a CLB proficiency level of benchmark 6 and are freely downloadable. The resources can be found at www.breakthewall.alberta.ca.
- Intellectual Property Resource
Intellectual Property Resource
- Online Volunteers Needed
Online Volunteers Needed
Are you interested in providing online English language learning support for missionaries from non-English speaking countries? If you have an internet connection and a willingness to give missionaries-in-training English speaking practice you can volunteer. Find out more at www.eafsa.com.
- Train Teachers in China
Train Teachers in China
When education officials in the rural Chinese county of XD wanted to improve teachers’ skills, they turned to the believers who improved their potatoes, trained their local doctors, provided scholarships for their children, and developed a water supply for a local village. Now they have asked Friends of XD to train their teachers for two years, and if you follow Jesus and identify with their ethos, we want you to be part of the action — in China or at home.
In China, train teachers in a workshop, shoot videos of training exercises, or make an official visit.
At home, supervise monthly lessons on Skype. Help a XD teacher practice English on Skype Interview your neighbors on video so XD teachers can see and hear real people. For more information visit http://friendsofxd.wordpress.com/
- ESL Bible Study Resources
ESL Bible Study Resources
- Not Just Another Book
- ESL Bible
- Alpha for ESOL (Canada)
- Lessons using the Jesus Video
- The Jesus Film in different languages
- God’s Story in different languages
- The Hope DVD (watch online)
- The Hope Study Guide (download study guides here)
- The Hope ESL Software Curriculum (DVD)
- Free Downloadable Evangelistic Films
- Intermediate ESL Bible Overview study
- The Bible as Your GPS – Free Bible study
- Christian ESL Resources
- Learning and Teaching English Through the Bible: A Pictorial Approach
- Storyteller’s Bible Study, 2nd Edition
- Children’s ESL Teaching Resources
Children’s ESL Teaching Resources
- Lesson Plans for ESL Teachers
Lesson Plans for ESL Teachers
Under construction – check back soon!
- Holiday ESL Resources
Holiday ESL Resources
- Missions Training
- Perspectives on the World Christian Movement is a dynamic 15-week discipleship course where you’ll discover what God is doing around the world and consider your part in his purposes. Perspectives is offered throughout the year at extension sites across Canada and the US. For more information contact: www.perspectivescanada.org
- The Edmonton ESL Cooperative offers ESL Teacher Training events and workshops, their website is: www.edmontonesl.com.
- To find out more about ESL Ministries in other cities across Canada visit www.eslministries.ca.
- On-Line Resources for ESL Facilitators
On-Line Resources for ESL Facilitators
ESL Teaching Resources
- Teaching Training Videos
- LINC 1-5 Curriculum Guidelines
- Learning English with CBC Manitoba
- TESL Canada Teachers Resource Centre
- Christian Educators in TESOL Caucus
- Planning Instruction for English Language Development
- 1000 Most Common Words in English
- Activities for ESL Students
- Centre for Education and Training
- ESL Cyber Listening Lab
- ESL Cafe
- The Linguistic Funland
- About ESL
- Rong Chang Lee’s ESL Site
- Many Things (for ESL learners)
- ESL Quizzes
- English Learner Movie Guides
- Film Study Guides
- The Grammar and Punctuation Glossary
- Easy Reading Job Profiles for ESL Students (Alberta Government)
- List of Best ESL Teaching Websites
- CBC Radio ESL Broadcasts
- ESL Partyland
- ATESL Best Practices Document
- ESL Literacy Network Bow Valley College, Calgary
- The Financial ESL Literacy Toolbox
- Books for ESL Facilitators
Books for ESL Learners
Vancouver Community College Bookstore (largest ESL section in Canada)
“You’re Hired…Now What? An Immigrant’s Guide to Success in the Canadian Workplace” by Lynda Goldman
(Workbook: Beverley Payne and Terry Webb)
For any newcomer who wants to succeed in a professional work environment. Issues that can arise from cultural differences guide the softskills that are selected for discussion. These include: adapting to a professional environment, body language, and common best-practice procedures at work. The Workbook corresponds to “You’re Hired…Now What?” chapter-for-chapter and allows students to apply the concepts from the student book to the real world.
Learning and Teaching English Through the Bible: A Pictorial Approach
“Learning and Teaching English Through the Bible: A Pictorial Approach” by Marianne Dibbley
This book teaches English (including ESL/EFL) within a Biblical context and in a pictorial format. It focuses on the top 1,000 most frequently used vocabulary words. It also presents an overview of pronunciation and key grammatical concepts. At the same time, it teaches major parables, verses, narratives, and themes from Scripture. Also included are suggestions for classroom games, lessons, and activities. The book can be ordered from this website for shipments to the U.S. and Canada.
- Professional Training for ESL Facilitators
Professional Training for ESL Facilitators
- Teaching English as a Second Language in Canada (TESL)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Volunteering with ESL Learners (VESL)
- Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks
- Alberta Bible College, TESOL Program
- University of Alberta, TESL Program
- Briercrest College, TESOL Program
- University of Saskatchewan, TEFL Program
- Trinity Western University, MA TESOL Program
- Mount Royal University, ACE Teacher Training Programs
- Taylor Seminary & EP Wahl Centre, Master of Arts Intercultural Studies: TESOL (Two-Year)
- Christian Organizations for International Students
Christian Organizations for International Students